Otis the School Dog
Meet Otis! I’m a labradoodle and I am the school dog.
Labradoodles are not a ‘breed’ of dog as such; they are the result of crossing a Labrador with a poodle.
· Labradoodles are known to be very good with children.
· Their coats are “hypo-allergenic” and shed very little fur, therefore reducing the risk of allergies.
· By being in school from a young age, he will be used to the environment and to being with children.
· Our dog will have a ‘pen’ where he will be placed when he needs to rest or when he needs to be kept away from people.
· A full risk-assessment will be taken to ensure the safety of humans and our dog.
· Children will only be able to pet or walk our dog, with adult supervision
Children can increase their understanding of responsibility and develop empathy and nurturing skills through contact with animals. By having a ‘reading dog’ we want to provide a friendly audience for children and for them to look forward to reading with the dog as a treat! The breed labradoodle has been carefully selected as suitable for school. The dog is well-cared for and responsibly owned by the Principal.
The School Dog Policy is available should anyone wish to see it.